WHAT IS MANKATOSINGS?
MankatoSings! Is a vocal singing competition, and qualifying round for the state-wide Minnesota Sings competition, aimed at fostering musicianship in Greater Mankato’s young adult community and advocating for music education in our public classrooms.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO COMPETE?
To be eligible for the Minnesota Sings Finals, you must:
1. Contestant must be 15 years of age or older ON the date of the Minnesota Sings Final, which is September 13, 2019. (Contestants must not be younger than 15 on that date, regardless of their age as of the date of the MankatoSings! competition).
2. Contestant must live, work, or go to school within the City of Mankato in order to be considered a representative of the City.
3. Only individual contestants are eligible, sorry no multiple singers or additional instruments may be used.
4. Contestants must not have won First Place at any previous state-wide Minnesota Sings competition. Those who have placed in the City division, however, are welcome to compete in this qualifier again.
HOW DO I ENTER TO COMPETE?
Interested participants are encouraged to submit their registration online at mankatosings.com, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Participation will be limited due to time constraints of the event.
IS THERE A COST TO COMPETE?
No! Registration and participation is completely free.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE SONG SELECTIONS?
Contestant must provide CD backing track to accompany their performance. You may use a commercially produced one, or record your own. In order to ensure an even playing field, contestants may not utilize a musical instrument to accompany yourself. Your CD may include background singers and/or harmonies. Total length of your song may not exceed 5 minutes in duration. Lyrics must not contain any profanity. The song and lyrics must be memorized. (No video screen or sheet music may be used.)
WHAT ARE THE JUDGES LOOKING FOR?
Judging at MankatoSings! will be conducted by a combination of performers, instructors and members of the music industry. Vocalists will be judged based on the criteria listed below. All judges’ decisions are final.
1. Vocal Skills: Includes pitch, breath control, dynamics, phrasing, enunciation and tone.
2. Presentation Skills: Includes eye contact, body expression, facial expression, attire, and microphone technique.
3. Audience Response to Performance: Based on judge’s observation
4. Judge’s Overall Impression of your Performance: At discretion of judges
5. Choice of Material: Singer chose proper song to showcase their abilities
YOU STATE THE COMPETITION IS FOR AMATEUR VOCALISTS, WHO DO YOU CONSIDER TO BE PROFESSIONAL?
If 30% or more of your income last year came from singing, you are not eligible to compete.
HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT THAN A KARAOKE CONTEST?
The song chosen must be memorized. There isn't a video screen on stage. The contestant must the backing track on a CD. The song cannot exceed 5 minutes and profanity is strictly prohibited.
I UNDERSTAND SOME MONEY GOES TO CHARITY?
Whoever wins first place at the state division will receive a bonus check of $1,000 that they get to present to their favorite hometown charity. If that contestant is from Mankato, the Atwood Companies (as local sponsor) will also receive a bonus check which they have committed to donating entirely to music programs in their community.
FOR OTHER QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL: email@example.com